An Exhibition of Nostalgia: "Old Master Q 2.0 Selling Exhibition"

22 Aug 2018 | Ashley

It is undoubtedly a pleasure to be able to share something from childhood with your mother - something that both of you may reminisce about as you grow older. And then in nostalgia you may think to yourselves, "how wonderful it is that we share a common reminder of a time so innocent and curious..."

My mother, born and raised in Hong Kong, was an absolute fan of local comics of the 60s and 70s. Her favourite childhood pastime used to be reading "Old Master Q" (original Chinese title: 老夫子) and "13-Dot" (original Chinese title: 《13點》). When I was a child, she happily bought me some copies of them from newspaper stands, gradually making those comics an indispensable part of my childhood too.

I went to Sotheby's Hong Kong Gallery yesterday, one of the world's oldest auction houses for decorative and visual arts. On display was a very interesting yet nostalgic exhibition - "Old Master Q 2.0 Selling Exhibition". For those who are new to "Old Master Q", it is in fact one of the most popular manhua (comic) series in Hong Kong. Old Master Q, the protagonist of the comic, first appeared in the newspapers and magazines in Hong Kong in the early 60s. The comic is still in publication today, well-loved by both kids and adults.

At the exhibition, I saw some original copies of "Old Master Q" comics, which instantly lit my eyes up and left me in awe. When I drew near to the familiar sight of these characters whom I have known since childhood, I was mesmerised by artist Alfonso Wong's loyalty to his lively characters and his ability to maintain a consistent drawing style. The main characters of the comic series - Old Master Q, Big Potato and Mr. Chin - take up different roles in different episodes: they are sometimes portrayed as burglars, actors, or someone as bizarre as an ancient warrior who sometimes encounter aliens, etc. Looking at the hilarious parodies of these comic characters, it was impossible not to chuckle at the exhibits! Equally impressive were the paintings created by Alfonso's son, Joseph Wong, who depicted the classic characters in bright and bold neon colours, enriching them with a subtle sense of contemporaneity that was refreshing to behold.


As I wandered around the exhibition, I realised that these comic strips were some of those things that used to be so engraved into your everyday life that you somehow take them for granted, without being fully aware of their artistic and cultural values. Therefore, I am glad that this exhibition did not only bring to life the memories of my childhood, but also reminded me of the appreciational aspect of the comic art.

A quick heads-up to all the "Old Master Q" fans out there: here comes the chance to indulge yourselves in this wondrous world of author and illustrator, Alfonso Wong! Make sure you pay a visit to the free exhibition before it ends this Saturday on 25th August 2018!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Reasons To Teach English In Hong Kong

Dance Review on "The Barber of Seville"

Iranian Road Trip With Jafar Panahi (Film review on "3 Faces" (2018) in HKAFF)